But first some random pictures...
Henry having an allergic reaction after church one Sunday.Playing with a hammer toy and accessorizing with a Bob the Builder hard hat and a Thomas toolbox.
I let the girls do my makeup before bed the other night...
Didn't they do a great job?
This is what Henry thought of it.
We borrowed my parents' popup camper and went to Hungry Horse campground with friends. Jeremy kept a journal of our time there for the kids to read later - I convinced him to type it up and allow me to post it on the blog, enjoy!
Hungry Horse Camping Trip June 2015
Our first “real” camping trip as a family was at Hungry Horse Campground in Dorr, MI with Dan, Misti, Josiah, Isaac, and Ella. Papa brought their camper to our house about a week ahead of time and you kids kept asking when we would be going. You were excited! Papa went over the camper setup instructions with Mom and she took notes so that we could easily set it up out at the campground (we knew this would be difficult with you 3 kids so anxious to go inside).
6/12 – Friday
I had the day off from work so that we could get ready for the camping trip. I took you kids for a walk and out to run some errands so that mom could have the house to herself and spend time packing up and getting some last minute groceries. She worked on this from about 8:45-3:45 (camping is a lot of work, kids!) Finally we hooked up Nana & Papa’s camper to our van. I drove the van/camper with Henry and the girls rode with mom in dad’s car, because the van was so full of stuff. Finally we arrived at the campground and starting setting up. You kids just could not wait to get into the camper! We packed so much stuff and we only forgot one thing…the instructions for how to set up the camper. Of course your mom is so smart that we really did not need them anyway. She remembered how everything went.
We had sandwiches for supper and played for a little while on the playground. There were about 3 or 4 different playgrounds there so that was nice. After you kids were all in bed, mom and I sat by the fire for a little while and then I headed home. I was running a race early the next morning and didn’t want to wake anyone up.
6/13 – Saturday
I felt bad for leaving, because as it turned out, Henry had woken up in the night along with the girls so mom had everyone in the bathroom at 2:30 am and gave Henry some Benadryl.
I ran the Town Crier 10k, had breakfast, showered, packed a few more things, met up with Bill, and headed back to the campground late in the morning. Bill stayed with us for the day. We had lunch, went to the pool, and played for the afternoon. Then we had burgers on the grill for supper and sat by the fire. Nana, Papa, and Zoe came out for a surprise visit. They sat by the fire with us too and enjoyed some birthday cake for Dan’s birthday.
6/14 – Sunday
Henry woke up 4 times between 11 and 1 am Sunday morning, but thankfully mom knew exactly how to handle his allergic reactions. (I did get up one of the times and sat with Henry in the gazebo listening to tree frogs. Whenever he would stop crying, he really liked to look for those frogs).
It rained and rained and rained overnight and into the morning. The ground was soaking wet and even the things that were underneath the awning got wet. But, we still enjoyed French toast and sausage for breakfast inside the camper. We stayed near the campers and you kids did some playing/watching cartoons over at Ella’s camper. Mom and I even got to play a round of Euchre with Dan & Misti. In between rainy times, we did get to the pool for a bit and had some lunch. After naps, we had hot dogs on the fire for supper. After some more play, it was time for bed.
6/15 – Monday
There was still rain on and off, so we had our cereal inside the camper. Then it let up a bit so we went to the playground. Then the kids and I went for a little walk and to the pool. It was still rainy on and off, so after naps we loaded up into the van to take a ride to Kmart just to get away for a little while. We found some new bathing suits for the girls and some new toys to play with. Our friends were also there, and then they went back to Holland for supper. We picked up a BC’s pizza and ate it back at the campground. Supper was cleaned up and I started to build a fire. Side note – mom kept “stealing” firewood from other sites that people had left behind. She was so proud of her finds.
Mom convinced me to bring the kids bikes even though I didn’t think it was a good idea, because you kids were all still learning how to ride. While I was building the fire, Henry was riding his little scooter bike and got going too fast down a hill. He slammed into Stella’s bike and he flew off his bike and landed right on his chin! Blood was pouring out all over his clothes and even on the road. I got the first aid kit from the van and mom played the role of “trauma nurse,” taking good care of Henry. Mom called Nana and Aunt Lindsey to get their opinions and thankfully, we did not have to seek any further medical treatment. I tried to get the blood out of Henry’s clothes and we had to dump some of the towels used to clean him up. Despite the gash in his chin, Henry was a trooper. After mom got him bandaged up, he stopped crying very quickly. He even slept through the night!
6/16 – Tuesday
Finally the rain was all done and the sun came out for a really nice day. We had bacon and Papa’s “World Famous Scrambled Eggs” for breakfast. We went for a very unsuccessful family walk (being 2, 4, and 6, you kids weren’t really into this). So we got our suits on instead and went to the pool until lunchtime. During naps, Leila played some Pinkalicious Uno with Josiah and Isaac. After naps, we went back to the pool until suppertime. We had hobo pies and then you kids played on the playground and jump pad. Then it was time for one more rinse in the pool before bed. Mom and I had fun sitting with Dan & Misti for one last night around the fire.
6/17 – Wednesday
Leila and Henry both decided to wake up again in the night! Thankfully we all slept in a little bit. Henry slept until almost 9! We had cereal for breakfast and mom & I starting packing up the cars and camper while you kids played on the playground. We all got our suits on one last time and went to the pool with our friends for a little while before heading home.
All in all, despite the rain and Henry’s injury, it was a great trip. We all had fun swimming, playing, and spending time together as a family and with our friends!




No comments:
Post a Comment