Monday, July 8, 2013

Swing Set Weekend


I will start this blog post off with a cute picture of Henry, who is starting to crawl!
We decided to build a swing set from some plans we got online recommended by a friend (thanks Marcie!).

July 4, after breakfast with the family, Jer and I headed to Menard's and picked up a bunch of lumber in Rich's truck (thanks Rich!) while Jer's parents watched the kids.

Jer spent the rest of the afternoon cutting the boards to the specified lengths.

Another gratuitous Henry shot...this one he has drool coming down.

Day two we went to Home Depot for the slide, swings, and a couple of brackets.  Then Jer and I assembled the two sides of the tower.  It seems like we should have been able to get more done, but we do have three children running around most of the time.

Saturday morning we enlisted Rod and Ken to help assemble the parts that need multiple people holding things together.  Dad came too, and at one point we almost had him swinging.

I did not get a shot of all of them hanging from the bar, but I am pretty sure that they each did at some point.

Here is the audience, mom, the kids and me watched most of the morning, playing with the water table occasionally, and enjoying the donut break with them.

The guys worked together as a team and got the main parts up before lunch.

We had to get a group shot with the girls up on the tower.

After lunch Bill came to help Jer some more, screwing down the deck boards, adding the boards that block the kids from falling off the tower, the ladder, some boards that keep the kids from running into the swings, and a bench inside the sandbox.

While they were out there working on the swing set, I managed to put Stella's name up on the wall, hang some pictures, 

and put together their new shelves.

Then we called it a day.  More to come: installing the swings, removing sod and adding sand to the sandbox, and a roof!
 

No comments: