Friday, August 1, 2008
Why I hate self-checkouts
Last week when I was getting groceries, I decided to use the self-checkout because there was no one in that line, and the cashier lines had at least one person waiting in each line. I have already had bad experiences with the self-checkout machines in the past, but I decided to go for it. It started out really well - a lady started bagging my groceries for me in my reusable bags (this is one thing that is easy for me to do for the environment). I then had to get her attention for my coupons. I thought I would need her clearance, because I am pretty sure I did the last time I used one of these new fangled contraptions, but she assured me in a superior tone that I could do it myself...except my third coupon did require her services. By this time there is a woman waiting behind me and the lady left my groceries 1/3 bagged. I quickly paid, carefully selecting my payment method of debit card, using the separate card pad, and then I grabbed my receipt. I then hurried to shove all of my groceries into my bags so the next lady could start processing her order. She gave me a smile and I left. After I got home, I started to put away all of my purchases, and Jer was writing the amount in the checkbook and yelled to me from the other room, "Why did you get $100 cash back?" So I ran back to look at the receipt and sure enough it said $100 cash back. Well, I didn't get any cash back...maybe that was why the woman smiled at me?!?!? Jer said I needed to go back to the store and see if they could do anything about it. I didn't really think they would do anything, but I figured that it would be worth it to at least try for $100. So I ran back and got into my car and started driving back to Family Fare. As I was on my way, I looked a little bit better at the receipt, and noticed that I had not bought the items that were on it...and the total was different from what I remembered...and it dawned on me that it was the previous customer's receipt, not mine. I did not accidentally hit the cash back button. So I sighed in relief and drove around the block...and vowed never to use the self-checkout again. Although I was tempted tonight when the lines for the cashiers were going into the food aisles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment